The Foundation closed applications for fiscal 2016.
Annual sum of ¥2.0 million, ¥1.5 million or ¥1.0 million, determined on the basis of evaluations by our selection committee.
Annual sum of ¥500,000 for applicants receiving scholarships or benefits from other sources
Note: A scholarship recipient's failure to make satisfactory academic progress or any unethical or immoral behavior or illegal act by the recipient may result in a reduction or withdrawal of his/her scholarship.
One year: From April to March of the following year
* Recipients must be enrolled in their university for the entire period covered by the scholarship.
Recipients may apply for a renewal of their scholarship for up to two times, for a total scholarship period of three years.
(1) The scholarship recipient withdraws from school.
(2) The recipient takes a leave of absence from school or does not attend classes for an extended period.
(3) The recipient fails to advance toward his or her degree or is at risk of failing to meet graduation requirements.
(4) The recipient is not expected to graduate due to injury or illness.
(5) The recipient fails to make satisfactory academic progress or engages in unethical behavior.
(6) Circumstances render the scholarship unnecessary.
(7) Circumstances other than the above arise that disqualify the recipient.
(8) The recipient is expelled from school for disciplinary reasons.
(9) The recipient otherwise ceases to meet scholarship criteria.
(1) Applicants must be self-supporting international students residing in Japan with "college student" status and must be 38 years old or younger as of April 1, 2016.
(2) Applicants must be enrolled in an official degree program at a university or graduate school in Japan and pursuing studies in a field directly relating to human health (such as medicine, pharmacology, biology, nutrition, physical education, or engineering) or business administration (for students from developing countries where business administration is not an established discipline, "international relations" is also acceptable). (Students in the first and second years of undergraduate degree programs are not eligible to apply.)
(3) Applicants must be highly motivated, possess an outstanding academic record, and demonstrate personal integrity.
(4) Applicants must be involved in creative or innovative research.
(5) Applicants must have an international perspective and demonstrate the ability to lead and serve as a bridge between Japan and their home country.
(6) Applicants must demonstrate a need for financial aid.
(7) Applicants must meet the requirements specified in (1) to (6) above and other requirements stipulated by the Foundation.
Note: Those who are unlikely to complete their studies within the standard period for completion are ineligible.
This year we have introduced an Application Support System. Please take care as the application process is different from previous years.
From the top page of the Foundation's website, choose "Apply Now" to enter the Application Support System. Follow the instructions under "Application Process" to enter your basic information and submit your Scholarship Application Form (excluding letter of recommendation), Academic Transcript, and Japanese translation (only if you completed the application form in English) as PDF files.
Write the reference number issued after online submission in the required spaces on your application documents, and mail the documents to the Foundation.
Otsuka Toshimi Scholarship Foundation Office
Otsuka Group Osaka Headquarters Building
3-2-27 Otedori, Chuo-ku, Osaka
*All documents other than the letter of recommendation must be handwritten in Japanese or English by the applicant. Applications completed in English must be accompanied by a Japanese translation. For more information, please see our Application FAQs.
*All materials submitted by the applicant will be used solely for the purposes of carrying out Foundation activities.
*Submitted materials will not be returned.
DOWNLOADS (Japanese versions only)
2016 Application Form for New Applicants: PDF format (approx. 323 kb)
2016 Application Form for Renewing Applicants: PDF format (approx. 328 kb)
Form for Recommendation Letter: Excel format (approx. 45kb)
When preparing a typewritten recommendation letter, either the PDF or Excel format may be used. However, the signature must be handwritten by the recommender.
* Renewing applicants must not copy from a Scholarship Application Form submitted for a previous application.
Online submissions: April 1, 2016, 9:00 a.m. - May 11, 2016, 12:00 p.m.
Submissions by mail: Must arrive at the office no later than May 13, 2016, 5:00 p.m.
The screening process involves reviewing the application documents and interviewing candidates who pass the documents review.
Scholarship recipients will be chosen by the Foundation’s selection committee, with decisions finalized by the Foundation’s Representative Director.
The interview portion of the process is generally carried out in mid-July.
Scholarship recipients will be selected in July and notified by the end of July.
Attendance at the certification ceremony and submission of a Letter of Agreement are compulsory for official certification as a scholarship recipient.
Scholarship payments are generally made twice annually on predetermined dates in August and December. Payments will be deposited directly into the recipient’s designated bank account.
Approx. 100 in fiscal 2016 (94 students received scholarships in fiscal 2015, 87 in fiscal 2014)
Scholarship recipients are expected to fulfill the following obligations:
(1) Comply with all rules stated in the Scholarship Guide and inform the Foundation promptly if they cease to satisfy any of the conditions for granting the scholarship.
(2) Promptly notify the Representative Director of the Foundation if any of the following occurs:
i. Leave of absence, reinstatement, transfer or withdrawal from school
ii. Suspension or other disciplinary action
iii. Change in name, address or other important personal information
iv. Likelihood of repeating a year of study or not being able to graduate within the standard period for completion
(3) Submit the following documents to the Representative Director of the Foundation:
i. Student registration certificate and a report on living condition
ii. Academic transcript
(4) Participate in events held by the Foundation.